FACT – INDOOR AIR POLLUTION IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM
Did you know that Indoor air pollution has been described by the EPA and Congress as America’s #1 environmental health problem? The EPA also reports that indoor air can be up to one hundred times more polluted than the air outside. One hundred times! Air pollutants and poor indoor air quality can cause allergies, sick building syndrome, bacteria infections, and spread viruses to name a few.
INDOOR AIR QUALITY FACTS
- People spend 75-90% of their time indoors.
- Exposure to airborne contamination is considerable.
- 50% of all major office buildings have contaminated heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC). If not properly maintained, they are a hotbed for growth of molds and bacteria.
- Each person inhales over 3,500 gallons of air each day. Children inhale more particles for their size then adolescents or adults.
- Polluted air causes 94% of all respiratory problem.
- More than 31 million Americans have been diagnosed with asthma, about 1/3 are children under 1.
- About 40,000 dust mites, a common household allergen, can live in one ounce of dust.
- An estimated 10-15% of the entire population may be allergic to cat or dog dander.
- A person sheds up to 700,000 skin flakes per day.